Want to make rendang at home? Follow the typical Minang rendang formula with tender and tasty meat like at this Nasi Padang restaurant.
Toppers must have heard a lot about rendang dishes, right? This typical Padang dish is usually made from beef and is famous for its savory, spicy and rich flavor.
Beef rendang itself is a dish that must be served on major holidays, such as Eid or other holidays. However, beef rendang dishes can also be used as a side dish every day.
Although rendang originates from Padang, this dish has been found in many other regions. Yes, this one meal menu is a favorite menu at the Nasi Padang Restaurant, not just chicken pop or typical Padang cakes.
You may be curious about the original Minang rendang, which tastes delicious and can be made at home. Come on, follow the original Minang beef rendang formula which is tender and easy to make at home!
Original Minang Rendang Formula
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 330 minutes
Rations: 10 servings
Calories per Serving: 468 calories
Minang rendang has several comparisons to the rendang you normally eat in Padang restaurants in Jakarta and other areas. If you go to Padang and eat rendang there, of course you will find rendang that has a different shape to taste.
- Original Minang Rendang Ingredients
- The main ingredient:
- 1 kilogram of beef
- 1 kilogram of thick coconut milk from 3 old coconuts
- 1 glass of water
- 2 sticks of lemongrass
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 lbs of turmeric leaves
- 2 tamarind aground
- 5 cloves
- 2 centimeters of cinnamon
- 2 star anise (if available)
- Salt to taste
- 20 red chilies
- 20 shallots
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 centimeters ginger
- 2 centimeters galangal
- 1 tsp coriander
Method for Making Original Minang Beef Rendang
- Cut the meat according to taste. Do not wash meat to prevent germs from spreading through water.
- Puree or puree all the ground spices.
- Heat the pan, then add the coconut milk, water and beef. Keep stirring so the coconut milk doesn’t break.
- While continuing to stir, add the lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, turmeric leaves, kandis acid, and salt.
- Cook over low heat for a few hours so that the meat is tender and the spices are browned.
- Once dry and brown in color, add cinnamon, star anise, and cloves. Wait until it is dry and the oil will come out.
- Serve on a flat plate with a sprinkling of onions to add to the enjoyment of the beef rendang.
- Such is the original Minang beef rendang formula that you can try at home. With this, you can feel the typical Minang taste of rendang without having to come directly to Padang. This soft and tasty rendang is very suitable as a friend to eat rice which is filling, you know.